Sunday, March 11, 2012

When Life Seems Busy

I read a  great post this week on being 'too busy'. The author suggests that to understand where your time is being spent you should start cataloguing your days. People often work less than they think they do, cutting back on Facebook would allow them to fit in their gym time, swap a little fluffy TV time for reading that book that they are dying to get to.

You can read it in full here.

The paragraph that stood out the most was the last one:


Change your language. Instead of saying "I don't have time" try saying "it's not a priority," and see how that feels. (Are you as busy as you think? By Laura Vanderkam)
Hmmm, how different would my days look if I evaluated my time more purposefully. What if I  didn't clean the bathroom this weekend because it was not a priority? (I kinda didn't) What if I chose to spend time with Sarah and her beautiful babies because it is a priority? (I kinda did)

It feels like Jimmy and I have spent a lot of energy since Christmas trying to prioritize better: vitamins, working out, healthier meals, flossing. LOL - baby steps we know - but cut us some slack. It hasn't been easy since work has been crazier than I would have liked (and I can't exaggerate this one).

However, after reading this article, I have found myself pondering my choices. I am a queen of multi-tasking so I can check Facebook and read the blogs I follow while commuting to work. I can clean the living room and bake muffins while catching up on a show. (That is why commercials were invented).

But what else can I do to ensure I don't miss those work outs? To be a better long distance friend? To enjoy our second year of marriage even more than we did our first?

When life is busy . . . I will choose what is my priority.

No comments: